This savory starter features dry-cured pork and jumbo prawns wrapped in flaky Phyllo.
- 8 sheets Athens Phyllo Dough
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh Rosemary, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon thyme, minced
- 5 Tbsp. vodka
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 24 jumbo sweetwater prawns, peeled and deveined†(Jumbo shrimp may be substituted)
- 12 thin slices prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup butter, melted
In large mixing bowl, combine oil, ginger, garlic, Rosemary, thyme, vodka and pepper. Add prawns, toss to coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
Remove prawns from marinade and wrap each in prosciutto. Layer 4 sheets of Phyllo, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Cut lengthwise into 12 strips.
Repeat this layering with remaining 4 Phyllo sheets. Using 1 Phyllo strip per prawn, wrap Phyllo around prawns to conform to natural shape of prawn. Brush outside with butter and refrigerate one hour.
Place Phyllo-wrapped prawns on cookie sheet and bake in preheated 400°F oven for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve hot with Southwestern-style relish such as Tomato-Papaya Relish.