Crispy tofu, sugar snap peas and shitakes dressed with a light spicy sauce and peanuts are perfect in phyllo shells.
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Phyllo Shells
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thai chili sauce
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 7 ounces extra firm tofu, drained, ½” diced and pressed dry between kitchen towels
- 1½ tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup peanut oil, divided
- 2 ounces sugar snap peas, thin sliced crosswise on angle (yields about ¾ cup)
- ¾ cup shitake mushrooms, thin sliced on angle
- 2 green onions, white parts minced and green parts thinly sliced
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- ¼ cup peanuts, finely chopped
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, chili sauce, rice vinegar and brown sugar. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, toss tofu with cornstarch and pepper to coat.
Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Cook tofu 3-5 minutes until crisp and golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to pan and stir fry peas and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms have softened and peas are tender-crisp. Remove from pan.
Heat remaining oil in same pan, add minced green onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 minute and add soy sauce mixture; cooking and stirring for about 1 more minute or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat, stir in peas and mushrooms. Garnish with green onion slices and peanuts.
Serving size: 1 Shell (20g), Amount per serving: Calories 50, Total Fat – 3.5g, Saturated fat – 0g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 0mg, Sodium – 40 mg, Dietary Fiber – 0g, Total Carbohydrate – 3g Sugars – 1g, Protein –2g, Vitamin D – 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 0%, Potassium – 0%
- For added crispness, preheat oven to 350° Place empty shells on a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes. Cool and fill.
- Apple cider vinegar may be substituted if rice vinegar is unavailable.