Best Appetizer Winner: Richard Boulanger, Williston, VT
- 3 slices diced bacon
- 1/4 cup small diced Andouille sausage
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 package (15 count) Athens® Mini Phyllo Shells
- 2 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grated hot pepper cheese
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- In a medium skillet, sauté bacon and Andouille sausage over medium high heat, stirring frequently until crisp. With slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel and drain. Add onions to skillet and sauté until just tender, drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the bacon, sausage and onion, and place 1 tablespoon of mixture into each Phyllo Shell.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, brown sugar and thyme, mixing well. Stir in 3 tablespoons pecans, and place 1 heaping tablespoon cream cheese mixture over sausage filling.
- Top each with 1/2 teaspoon grated hot pepper cheese and 1/2 teaspoon of remaining chopped pecans.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately.