These cups are packed with that baklava taste everyone loves. Bonus – you can also make them ahead of time! Recipe by Natasha from Natasha’s Kitchen blog.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice from 1/2 small lemon
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 30 shells (2 boxes, 15 count each) Athens® Mini Fillo Shells
- 2 cups nuts we used 1 1/2 cups walnuts + 1/2 cup salted pistachios
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips melted to drizzle for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a small saucepan, combine syrup ingredients: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/3 cup water, and 1/4 cup honey. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves then reduce heat and keep at a light boil for 4 minutes without stirring. Remove syrup from heat and let cool at room temperature while prepping baklava cups.
In a food processor, pulse together 2 cups nuts to coarsely chop. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and stir in 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Add 3 tablespoons melted butter and stir to combine.
Arrange 30 phyllo shells on a rimmed baking sheet and divide nut mixture between the cups (about 2 teaspoons per cup), patting down the tops with your fingers. Bake 10 minutes at 350˚F.
Once out of the oven, immediately spoon cooled syrup over nuts, adding 1 teaspoon to each one to let the syrup soak in then repeat with another 1/2 teaspoon of syrup until all syrup is used up. Let rest at room temperature for 6 hours or overnight for flavors to meld and cups to soften. Serve as is or drizzled with chocolate.
- Baklava can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks or frozen up to 3 months (see blog post for instructions).