This tasty entree re-creates a classic French dish and gives it a flaky phyllo upgrade.
- 1 roll (20 sheets) Athens Phyllo® Dough (9” x 14”), thawed
- 2 each (10 ounce) chicken breast, split in half lengthwise
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves only
- Egg wash, 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water combined
Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350°F. Unroll and cover the sheets with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent drying out.
Place 1 chicken breast half on work surface. Place 1 slice of prosciutto over the chicken. Place 2 tablespoons Gruyere on half of the prosciutto. Fold the chicken over the cheese. Repeat with each chicken piece.
Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface and lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon thyme evenly on phyllo sheet. Layer and repeat with 4 more sheets. Do not spray the top layer.
Place layered sheets lengthwise on work surface. Place 1 prepared chicken piece in the center of the phyllo. Fold the phyllo lengthwise covering the chicken. Fold the short ends to the center overlapping in the middle to complete the packet.
Spray a baking tray and place the seam side of the chicken packet on the baking tray. Cut the top of phyllo, not the chicken, diagonally in the center. Brush lightly with egg wash. Repeat to make 4 chicken packets.
Re-roll unused sheets and follow storing instructions on package. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the packet is golden brown and an internal temperature of 165°F is reached. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve.
- To make ahead: prepare the packet without the egg wash, wrap in plastic and refrigerate. To serve, unwrap packet from plastic, spray baking tray then place packet on tray seam side down, brush with egg wash and bake per directions.
- Serving suggestion: top chicken packet with dijon cream sauce prior to serving.