A meat-free filling of eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes and feta finds a home in flaky phyllo in these tasty pastry pouches.
- 1 cup red onion, 1/2-inch diced
- 1 1/2 cups eggplant, peeled and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, peeled and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 cup green (or red) bell pepper, 1/2-inch diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces feta (or goat) cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- Cooking Spray
In a large bowl, combine the onion, eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, tomato, oil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray and evenly spread the vegetables over it. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 30 minutes or until tender, stirring several times.
Place vegetable mixture in a large bowl and let cool to room temperature. Fold in feta and parsley.
Layer 4 phyllo sheets, lightly coating each with cooking spray. Cut two, 5-inch squares from phyllo stack. Place about 1/4 cup of filling in center of each square. Brush phyllo from edge of filling to each point of square lightly with water. Gather points of square and pinch together just above filling. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat process 4 times to make 10 pouches.
Place filled pouches at least 1″ apart on ungreased cookie sheet or baking pan.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.