A mixture of spinach, walnuts, scallions and bell pepper settles into flaky phyllo shells with this tasty and meat-free recipe.
- Cooking spray (butter or olive oil variety for more flavor)
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red (or green) bell pepper, finely chopped
- 10 ounces fresh spinach leaves, cleaned, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Lightly coat a 3” cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Layer 5 phyllo sheets, lightly coating each with cooking spray. Cut four, 4-inch circles from phyllo stack. Place phyllo circles into the muffin cups. Carefully push phyllo into cup, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Repeat process to make 16 shells.
Bake phyllo shells in preheated 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Let cool.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, scallions and red pepper and cook about 1 minute.
Stir in the spinach and walnuts and cook until spinach begins to wilt, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon about 2 tablespoons of filling into phyllo shells. Serve immediately.